Through Collaboration Agreements, AIDA and our partner organisations confirm their strong commitment to work together under the following principles:
- Acknowledgement of the sovereignty of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and their self-determination, ongoing relationship with land and cultural continuity;
- Mutual regard and respect;
- Inclusive consultation and decision making processes;
- Valuing each other’s unique contributions; and
- Cultural safety for all peoples in all spheres, with an understanding of the issues for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Collaboration Agreement with the Committee of Presidents of Medical Colleges
The Collaboration agreement between AIDA and the College of Presidents of Medical Colleges will make a contribution to improving Indigenous health outcomes by training more Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander medical specialists.
This agreement complements existing agreements between AIDA and Medical Deans Australia and New Zealand and the Confederation of Postgraduate Medical Education Councils (CPMEC).
The agreement was signed on 8 July 2013 by AIDA President Tammy Kimpton and CPMC Chair Professor Kate Leslie.
Confederation of Postgraduate Medical Education Councils
The signing of Collaboration Framework signals the commitment of both AIDA and CPMEC to create greater support and mentoring for prevocational Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander doctors in their transition from graduation to vocational training.
The Collaboration Framework was formally signed by AIDA’s former President, Associate Professor Peter O’Mara and CPMEC’s Chair, Professor Simon Willcock on 1 June 2012.
Medical Deans Australia and New Zealand
AIDA and Medical Deans have a long history of collaboration, having co-signed four collaboration agreements over the last ten years. The first Collaboration Agreement between AIDA and Medical Deans was signed in 2005. The fourth collaboration agreement, restating each organisations commitment, was formally signed by AIDA’s President, Dr Tammy Kimpton and Medical Deans Acting President, Professor Richard Murray on 10 August 2015.
AIDA-Medical Deans past collaborations:
- 2012 – 2015 Medical Deans-AIDA Collaboration Agreement
- AIDA-Medical Deans: National Medical Education Review – February 2012
- AIDA-Medical Deans: Building Indigenous Medical Academic Leaders – February 2012