After your medical degree

Once you have finished your medical degree, you need to undertake an Internship. You can then move on to Residency and Specialist Training.


All Australian states and territories require recently qualified medical graduates to successfully undertake and complete at least one year of supervised practice (known commonly as an internship), in order to get full registration and to prove they are fit to practice.

This period of internship is done in accredited training hospitals and allows you to practice as a doctor and perhaps find an area you want to specialise in, such as, paediatrics, oncology, general practice, surgery.


Doctors who have completed their internship and are employed in a hospital, but haven’t yet completed pre-vocational training are known as residents. Once you have successfully completed your internship you qualify for full registration with the Medical Board in your state and can practice independently. Most people spend around two or three years working in residency as what are known as either ‘Junior Doctors’, ‘Resident Medical Officers’ (RMOs) or ‘PGY 1s and PGY 2s’ (Postgraduate years 1 and 2). During this time they learn more about being a doctor and decide where they would like to specialise. Many people choose to continue working in this area for their entire career as they enjoy the diverse working environment.

Specialist training

A doctor who has completed their training to practise a particular branch of medicine is known as a specialist, while a doctor training to become a specialist is known as a registrar.

Specialist training allows you to specialise in a particular area and typically work in either a specialty practice or a specific part of the health system.

Specialist training programs in Australia are governed by medical colleges and vary considerably in length and the type of hours you are likely to work. Most training programs are very competitive to get a place; the application and entry procedure is typically a combination of an interview, supervisor’s reports of previous training, any previous relevant work experience and relevant qualifications. Some medical colleges reserve and offer Indigenous specific training places.

For example, if you want to work with children you might choose to do paediatrics and work in a children’s hospital or a paediatric clinic. You might be fascinated by the body’s largest organ (the skin) and choose dermatology as your specialty. Maybe you want to help people who are in accidents, or require a transplant and choose to be a surgeon. Perhaps you are more interested in what makes people in your community sick and choose a research specialty such as public health. The exception to the rule of specialty training is General Practice. It is a recognised specialty, however by its nature it is very general in the type of work you do. Most doctors you visit, for example your family doctor, are General Practitioners.

Specialist medical colleges in Australia include:

  • Australasian College of Dermatologists;
  • Australasian College for Emergency Medicine;
  • Australasian Chapter of Palliative Medicine;
  • Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists;
  • Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators;
  • Royal Australasian College of Physicians (including the Paediatrics and Child Health Division);
  • Royal Australasian College of Surgeons;
  • Royal Australian College of General Practitioners;
  • Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists;
  • Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists;
  • Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists;
  • Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists; and
  • Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia.

Applying for jobs

Download Beat Health’s CV Guide – 7 obvious mistakes to avoid on your medical CV.